Silvio Berlusconi slams sex trial verdict, insists innocent
Rome: Former prime minister Silvio Berlusconi hit out at his conviction by a Milan court on Tuesday for paying for sex with an underage prostitute and abuse of office, insisting he was "utterly innocent" and accusing the judges of persecution.
"I was truly convinced I would be absolved because there was absolutely no possibility of being found guilty based on the evidence," he said, after he was sentenced to seven years in jail and banned for life from holding public office.
"I intend to resist the persecution because I am absolutely innocent and I don`t want to abandon my fight to make Italy a truly free and just country," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says