Somalia: 89 Al-Shabaab terrorists held
Mogadishu: Somali security forces have arrested 89 people suspected to be having links with al Qaeda-affiliated terror outfit Al-Shabaab, Xinhua reported.
The men were arrested in the capital Mogadishu.
The raids were part of efforts to strengthen security of the capital ahead of a crucial meeting to ratify a draft Constitution for Somalia.
They were carried out by a joint force comprising the police, the national intelligence agency and the Army, the Information Ministry said.
"The forces cordoned off suspected terrorist hideouts in several neighbourhoods as part of a series of night raids in the capital city of Mogadishu. A total of 89 Al-Shabaab terrorist suspects were arrested and remain in custody," a ministry statement said.
"The objective of the raid was to weed out the remnants of the al Qaeda-affiliated terror group, in the wake of numerous roadmap activities being held in Mogadishu that will pave the way for the return of permanent and representative government," the government said in a statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- Britain votes to exit EU in historic referendum
- Arvind Kejriwal got in IIT- Kharagpur through fake quota? Subramanian Swamy to reveal soon
- Hope more Indian A-listers take chances in Hollywood: Deepika Padukone
- US official: Investigators can't download EgyptAir recorders
- 100% FDI in defence need of the hour: Venkaiah Naidu