Somalia: 89 Al-Shabaab terrorists held
Mogadishu: Somali security forces have arrested 89 people suspected to be having links with al Qaeda-affiliated terror outfit Al-Shabaab, Xinhua reported.
The men were arrested in the capital Mogadishu.
The raids were part of efforts to strengthen security of the capital ahead of a crucial meeting to ratify a draft Constitution for Somalia.
They were carried out by a joint force comprising the police, the national intelligence agency and the Army, the Information Ministry said.
"The forces cordoned off suspected terrorist hideouts in several neighbourhoods as part of a series of night raids in the capital city of Mogadishu. A total of 89 Al-Shabaab terrorist suspects were arrested and remain in custody," a ministry statement said.
"The objective of the raid was to weed out the remnants of the al Qaeda-affiliated terror group, in the wake of numerous roadmap activities being held in Mogadishu that will pave the way for the return of permanent and representative government," the government said in a statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!