Somalia: 89 Al-Shabaab terrorists held
Mogadishu: Somali security forces have arrested 89 people suspected to be having links with al Qaeda-affiliated terror outfit Al-Shabaab, Xinhua reported.
The men were arrested in the capital Mogadishu.
The raids were part of efforts to strengthen security of the capital ahead of a crucial meeting to ratify a draft Constitution for Somalia.
They were carried out by a joint force comprising the police, the national intelligence agency and the Army, the Information Ministry said.
"The forces cordoned off suspected terrorist hideouts in several neighbourhoods as part of a series of night raids in the capital city of Mogadishu. A total of 89 Al-Shabaab terrorist suspects were arrested and remain in custody," a ministry statement said.
"The objective of the raid was to weed out the remnants of the al Qaeda-affiliated terror group, in the wake of numerous roadmap activities being held in Mogadishu that will pave the way for the return of permanent and representative government," the government said in a statement.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India