Somalia: 89 Al-Shabaab terrorists held
Mogadishu: Somali security forces have arrested 89 people suspected to be having links with al Qaeda-affiliated terror outfit Al-Shabaab, Xinhua reported.
The men were arrested in the capital Mogadishu.
The raids were part of efforts to strengthen security of the capital ahead of a crucial meeting to ratify a draft Constitution for Somalia.
They were carried out by a joint force comprising the police, the national intelligence agency and the Army, the Information Ministry said.
"The forces cordoned off suspected terrorist hideouts in several neighbourhoods as part of a series of night raids in the capital city of Mogadishu. A total of 89 Al-Shabaab terrorist suspects were arrested and remain in custody," a ministry statement said.
"The objective of the raid was to weed out the remnants of the al Qaeda-affiliated terror group, in the wake of numerous roadmap activities being held in Mogadishu that will pave the way for the return of permanent and representative government," the government said in a statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP