Somalia: 89 Al-Shabaab terrorists held
Mogadishu: Somali security forces have arrested 89 people suspected to be having links with al Qaeda-affiliated terror outfit Al-Shabaab, Xinhua reported.
The men were arrested in the capital Mogadishu.
The raids were part of efforts to strengthen security of the capital ahead of a crucial meeting to ratify a draft Constitution for Somalia.
They were carried out by a joint force comprising the police, the national intelligence agency and the Army, the Information Ministry said.
"The forces cordoned off suspected terrorist hideouts in several neighbourhoods as part of a series of night raids in the capital city of Mogadishu. A total of 89 Al-Shabaab terrorist suspects were arrested and remain in custody," a ministry statement said.
"The objective of the raid was to weed out the remnants of the al Qaeda-affiliated terror group, in the wake of numerous roadmap activities being held in Mogadishu that will pave the way for the return of permanent and representative government," the government said in a statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Live: Jayalalithaa passes away after suffering cardiac arrest; Panneerselvam takes oath as new CM of Tamil Nadu
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what