South Korea to build ballistic missiles
Seoul: South Korea will build ballistic missiles to better respond to "perceived threats" from North Korea, the presidential office here said Sunday.
The missiles will have a range of up to 800 km, more than double the current limit, and capable of reaching targets anywhere in North Korea, news agency reported.
North Korea`s ballistic missiles have a range of 3,000 km and capable of striking the entire Korean peninsula as well as US military installations in Japan and Guam.
South Korea, however, will keep the current payload limit unchanged at 500 km, presidential secretary for foreign affairs and national security Chun Young-woo said.
South Korea had long called for a revision of the missile pact it signed with Washington in 1979.
The agreement stopped the country from developing ballistic missiles of longer ranges despite growing missile threats posed by its northern neighbour.
The missile range, however, runs counter to a global arms control agreement known as the Missile Technology Control Regime (MTCR).
The MTCR, an informal and voluntary association of 34 countries, aims to stop the spread of unmanned delivery systems capable of delivering weapons of mass destruction.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray