South Korea warns Japan of `isolation` over war sex slavery review
Seoul: South Korean President Park Geun-Hye on Saturday warned Japan would face isolation if it pushed ahead with a move to revisit an apology over wartime sex slavery.
Her warning, in a speech marking the anniversary of a 1919 anti-Japanese uprising, coincided with the opening of a rare exhibition on "comfort women" in Seoul, a euphemism for women who were forced into Japanese military brothels during World War II.
Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe`s administration is moving to reconsider a 1995 apology for comfort women, putting further stress on the already frayed ties between the two neighbours.
"Historical truth is in testimony from the survivors. Japan would only bring isolation on itself if it turns a deaf ear to their testimony and sweeps it under the rug for political benefits", she said.
Park called on Japan to follow Germany in repenting its past wrongs so that the two countries can put bitter memories behind them and "move forward for a new era of cooperation, peace and prosperity".
"I hope Japan extricates itself from denial of history and starts making a new history of truth and reconciliation", she said.
Hundreds of protestors were killed in a 1919 crackdown on widespread demonstrations by Koreans who were rallying for independence from Japan, which occupied the Korean peninsula from 1910 to 1945.
The politically-charged issue of comfort women has stoked regional tensions, with South Korea and China insisting that Japan must face up to its World War II-era sexual enslavement of women from across occupied Asia.On display at the exhibition at the History Museum in Seoul were comics featuring the plight of comfort women as well as artworks by survivors.
The display included a diary kept by an operator of a World War II Japanese military brothel, which South Korea says is a material evidence to prove coercion in the sex slavery.
The comics made their debut at an international comic book festival in France last month, sparking a protest from Japanese ambassador to France Yoichi Suzuki.
In 1993, after hearing testimony from 16 Korean women, a statement issued in the name of Japan`s then-chief cabinet secretary Yohei Kono acknowledged official complicity in the coercion of women into sex slavery.
It offered "sincere apologies and remorse" to the women and vowed to face the historical facts squarely.
But repeated wavering on the issue among senior right-wing politicians has contributed to a feeling in South Korea that Japan is in denial and is not sufficiently remorseful.
In remarks in 2007 that triggered a regionwide uproar, Abe in his first term as prime minister said there was no evidence that Japan directly forced women to work as sex slaves.
Last week Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga told parliament that the government "would like to consider" setting up a verification team with academics who would look again at the women`s accounts.
Tomiichi Murayama, who issued the apology when he was prime minister, said Thursday that the revision of the landmark apology would not serve the country`s interests.
Respected historians say up to 200,000 women, mostly from Korea but also from China, Indonesia, the Philippines and Taiwan, were forced to serve as sex slaves in Japanese army brothels.
However, a minority of right-wing Japanese insist there was no official involvement by the state or the military and say the women were common prostitutes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof