Spain to probe video of soldiers kicking Iraqi prisoner
Madrid: The Spanish defence ministry will investigate the authenticity of a video apparently showing Spanish soldiers kicking an Iraqi prisoner 10 years ago, an event that - if true - would be the first known case of mistreatment by Spanish troops on an international mission.
Sources at the ministry told EFE said that the first task is to determine if the images published Sunday by the daily El Pais on its web page "are real" and, if so, "of course the appropriate measures will be taken".
In the video, five soldiers are shown brutally kicking a prisoner, apparently an Iraqi.
The same ministry sources said that the Spanish military has been greatly "affected" by the events shown in the video because of their nature but also because the military`s overall image is adversely affected by behaviour of that kind.
Former foreign minister Trinidad Jimenez, of the Socialist opposition, demanded Sunday that blame be allocated "if possible" in the case in which five Spanish soldiers participate in abusing detainees at Diwaniya base, although she said she felt that the incident was an "isolated" case.
She went on to say that the incident was "regrettable" and "very tragic" for the image of the Spanish armed forces, although she added that it directly affects and involves only those soldiers shown in the video.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title