Spain to probe video of soldiers kicking Iraqi prisoner
Madrid: The Spanish defence ministry will investigate the authenticity of a video apparently showing Spanish soldiers kicking an Iraqi prisoner 10 years ago, an event that - if true - would be the first known case of mistreatment by Spanish troops on an international mission.
Sources at the ministry told EFE said that the first task is to determine if the images published Sunday by the daily El Pais on its web page "are real" and, if so, "of course the appropriate measures will be taken".
In the video, five soldiers are shown brutally kicking a prisoner, apparently an Iraqi.
The same ministry sources said that the Spanish military has been greatly "affected" by the events shown in the video because of their nature but also because the military`s overall image is adversely affected by behaviour of that kind.
Former foreign minister Trinidad Jimenez, of the Socialist opposition, demanded Sunday that blame be allocated "if possible" in the case in which five Spanish soldiers participate in abusing detainees at Diwaniya base, although she said she felt that the incident was an "isolated" case.
She went on to say that the incident was "regrettable" and "very tragic" for the image of the Spanish armed forces, although she added that it directly affects and involves only those soldiers shown in the video.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users