Spaniard dies after reaching Everest`s summit
Kathmandu: Spanish mountaineer Juan Jose Polo Carbayo died on the weekend as he was descending from Mt Everest after reaching the summit of the world`s tallest mountain, the Nepalese agency responsible for the climbing expedition told EFE.
"The most probable cause of his death was exhaustion," said an official with Himalayan Guides, Hari Parjauli, who added that the 43-year-old Carbayo died on Saturday after breaking away from the group with which he had reached the summit.
"Carbayo was going in a group of four, each one with their sherpa, and the Spaniard was falling behind," said Parjauli on Wednesday.
"The sherpa assured us that he only left him when he noticed that he was already dead," said the company official.
He said that according to the sherpa`s testimony, the Spaniard died at a spot above 8,000 meters in altitude.
According to experts, many people prefer to ascend and descend Everest on the mountain`s Tibetan slope because the expedition is less expensive despite the fact that, among other advantages, acclimatisation to the altitude is easier on the Nepalese slope.
Carbayo`s body will remain forever at about 8,300 meters along with those of about 200 other mountaineers who have died there over the years, his family decided, officials with the Spanish consulate in Beijing said.
The family of the Barcelona-born climber decided to let his body remain on the mountain, since recovering bodies from there is extremely difficult and hazardous and requires a team of about 10 people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'