Strauss-Kahn pleads not guilty to sex crimes
New York: Fallen IMF chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn launched what promised to be a long campaign to clear his name Monday, pleading not guilty to charges that he tried to rape a hotel maid.
Lawyers for the alleged victim, a 32-year-old Guinean woman, said she would testify to a "terrible sex assault," setting the stage for the dramatic and high-stakes prosecution of one of the world`s most powerful men.
"She`s going to come to the court house, she`s going to tell the truth. What she wants is justice," lawyer Kenneth Thompson told reporters after a brief, seven-minute plea hearing, describing her as "devastated" and "traumatized."
"The victim wants you to know that all of Dominique Strauss-Kahn`s power, money, and influence throughout the world will not keep the truth about what he did to her in that hotel room from coming out."
Strauss-Kahn`s attorneys said that whatever happened on May 14 in the Sofitel Hotel, near Times Square, was consensual, indicating that the defense would not seek to challenge that some kind of liaison had taken place.
"It will be clear that there was no element of forcible compulsion in this case whatsoever. Any suggestion to the contrary is simply not credible," said Benjamin Brafman, one of America`s most successful lawyers to the stars.
Arriving at the Manhattan court, grave-faced, his wife Anne Sinclair on his arm, Strauss-Kahn was met with shouts of "Shame on you! Shame on you!" from around 100 women dressed as hotel maids protesting outside.
The chants were so loud they could be heard through the 13th floor of the court-room where he was asked to enter a formal plea by Judge Michael Obus, as the prying eyes of a frenzied world media, many from France, looked on.
Strauss-Kahn, wearing a dark-blue suit and tie and a light-blue shirt, stood up with his two lawyers, before turning toward the judge and answering in a quiet voice: "not guilty." The next court hearing was set for July 18.
He pleaded not guilty to all seven counts, including attempted rape, in what prosecutors say was a brutal assault on the woman sent to clean his $3,000-a-night suite at the Sofitel.
The 62-year-old defendant was one of the most influential people in the global economy and widely considered to be a leading contender for the French presidency until his shock arrest on an Air France plane about to depart New York for Paris.
After a humiliating five-night stay on New York`s notorious Rikers Island jail under suicide watch, Strauss-Kahn was released on house arrest after securing a $6 million bond and bail deal.
Only allowed out to visit his lawyers, pray or go to court, he will spend the duration of the trial under armed guard and wearing an ankle monitoring bracelet, although visits from family and a few friends are permitted.
Before Monday`s hearing, Brafman indicated in a letter filed in court that he was unhappy with media leaks airing the evidence, which claims to show that the French politician`s semen was found on the maid`s shirt.
In the US pre-trial process known as "discovery," parties are obliged to answer questions about their opponent`s evidence collection. Prosecutors have told Brafman that he will be given materials, but in the proper time.
In an interview broadcast Sunday, Brafman told France`s M6 television show "66 Minutes" that his client will be acquitted.
"We have a chance to win in this case because I don`t think Mr Strauss-Kahn is guilty of the charges. I believe he`s going to be exonerated," he said.
Strauss-Kahn`s arrest and quick resignation from his post as head of the International Monetary Fund threw the global lender and economic policy powerhouse into disarray as it grapples with debt crises in the European Union.
Many in France believe that the Socialist party figure has been mistreated, but the case has also stirred unusually vigorous debate in the country over long-taboo subjects such as sexual harassment.
Strauss-Kahn, whose wife is an American-born art heiress and famous former French television journalist, is spending vast sums on his defense. Just the bill for his home detention costs some $200,000 a month, according to prosecutors, while rental for his TriBeCa townhouse is estimated at $50,000 a month.
In addition to Brafman, Strauss-Kahn is employing private investigators believed to be digging into the personal life of the maid. Lawyers claim to have information that could "gravely undermine" her position, but they have not given more detail.
The prosecution is also led by big guns Joan Illuzzi-Orbon and Ann Prunty. Illuzzi-Orbon is head of the Manhattan District Attorney`s hate crimes unit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'