Strong 6.2 magnitude quake shakes Vanuatu
Sydney: A strong 6.2 magnitude quake
struck near the Pacific island of Vanuatu on Wednesday, US
seismologists said. No tsunami alert was issued.
The US Geological Survey (USGS) said the quake struck
at 10:37 pm (0507 IST) at a depth of 54 kilometres, 142
kilometres south-southeast of Isangel, in southern region of
the Vanuatu archipelago.
Vanuatu, which lies between Fiji and Australia and
north of New Zealand, is in the "Pacific Ring of Fire" known
for its seismic and volcanic activity caused by friction
between moving plates in the Earth`s crust.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley