Strong earthquake shakes Costa Rica
San Jose: A 6.0 magnitude earthquake shook Costa Rica, alarming residents of the Central American country and causing minor damage but no known injuries, authorities said.
The quake struck at around 4:47 pm (2247 GMT) on Friday, 25 kilometres (16 miles) northwest of San Jose, according to the US Geological Survey, which gave its magnitude as 6.0.
It was felt with particular intensity in San Jose`s western Escazu and Santa Ana neighbourhoods, upscale areas where many diplomats and foreign business executives have their homes.
"It broke all the glasses in my bar," said an Argentine resident who lives on the sixth floor of a building in Escazu.
Residents in the area around the San Jose International Airport reported power outages that impacted traffic lights during the daily rush hour.
Cellphone service was disrupted in some areas, and some small landslides were reported on the road connecting the capital to the Pacific coast.
"It felt very strong. Some of the tiles on the houses in the condominium fell. People ran outside, frightened," said Carolina Diaz, a Chilean who lives in the centre of the city.
Local media reported that the shock waves were felt along the country`s Pacific coast, and less strongly on the Caribbean side of the country.
The quake occurred at a depth of 70 km (43.5 miles).
Juan Segura, the director of Costa Rica`s Volcanology and Seismology Observatory, said it was caused by the impact of the Coco and Caribe plates.
He said it was the most serious earthquake in Costa Rica since a 6.2-magnitude quake in January 2009 that killed 23 people and destroyed dozens of houses in Volcan Poas, a tourist area 40 kilometres (25 miles) from the capital.
That quake was the strongest to hit the popular ecotourism and beach holiday destination in 150 years.
The Costa Rican Red Cross appealed for calm, and urged the public "to remain on alert in case of aftershocks”.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes
- CBSE Results 2015: Girls outperform boys in Class 12 Board Exams