Suicide attack in Turkey; police officer killed
Istanbul: In a brazen attack, a suicide bomber threw a hand grenade and blew himself up at a police station in Istanbul, Turkey, on Tuesday.
The attack killed one police officer and injured seven other people, authorities said.
Ambulances raced to the scene of the blast in an Istanbul suburb after the attack. Forensic investigators then moved in, combing the area in front of the building for evidence.
The city`s police chief, Huseyin Capkin the station, said the assailant was a 25-year-old man.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility. Fighting between Turkish forces and Kurdish rebels who seek self-rule has surged in recent months. The military announced on Monday that it had conducted air strikes over the past week in northern Iraq, where Kurdish rebels have bases. Some 25 guerrillas were killed in the operation, according to the military.
Authorities blamed the rebel Kurdistan Workers` Party for a bomb last month that killed nine people near a police station in a city close to the Syrian border. Rebels denied involvement, though they have escalated attacks in what some analysts believe is an attempt to capitalise on regional uncertainty surrounding the civil war in Syria.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof