Suicide attack in Turkey; police officer killed
Istanbul: In a brazen attack, a suicide bomber threw a hand grenade and blew himself up at a police station in Istanbul, Turkey, on Tuesday.
The attack killed one police officer and injured seven other people, authorities said.
Ambulances raced to the scene of the blast in an Istanbul suburb after the attack. Forensic investigators then moved in, combing the area in front of the building for evidence.
The city`s police chief, Huseyin Capkin the station, said the assailant was a 25-year-old man.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility. Fighting between Turkish forces and Kurdish rebels who seek self-rule has surged in recent months. The military announced on Monday that it had conducted air strikes over the past week in northern Iraq, where Kurdish rebels have bases. Some 25 guerrillas were killed in the operation, according to the military.
Authorities blamed the rebel Kurdistan Workers` Party for a bomb last month that killed nine people near a police station in a city close to the Syrian border. Rebels denied involvement, though they have escalated attacks in what some analysts believe is an attempt to capitalise on regional uncertainty surrounding the civil war in Syria.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security