Survivor reveals horrors of torturous North Korean prison camps
Washington: The horrific living conditions in North Korea’s labor camps, which are believed to hold up over 100,000 of political prisoners, have been revealed.
The report by CBS News based on interview with one of the prisoners of the camp showed widespread starvation, incredibly brutal working conditions, and torture methods in practice inside the prisons.
Shin Dong-hyuk, a 30-year-old young man who says he was born in one of the camps, revealed how for the perceived disloyalty of just one relative, three generations of a family -- grandparents, parents, and children - are sent to perform hard labor on the brink of starvation in brutal North Korean prison camps.
The report quoted Shin, saying that ‘because he was born there, he just thought that those people who carry guns were born to carry guns and prisoners like him were born as prisoners.’
According to the report, he says he had no idea that America existed or that the world was round.
For the first two decades of his life, he says, he never thought about escaping because he thought the rest of the world was just like the prison camp.
Shin, who is believed to be the only person born in a North Korean prison camp who has ever escaped to tell about it, painted a devastating portrait of life in Camp 14, a political prison located in the mountains 50 miles north of Pyongyang.
He described being tortured, seeing a little girl beaten to death for stealing a few kernels of corn, and watching his mother and brother executed before his eyes.
Hunger was a pervasive factor of everyday life, the report quoted Shin, as saying.
The prisoners were so hungry, Shin said, they ate rats and insects to keep from starving.
According to human rights groups and the United Nations, Camp 14 is one of several North Korean prison camps housing an estimated 150,000 political prisoners, the report said.
North Korea has denied that it has any political prisons, but has refused to allow outside observers to inspect Camp 14 and other sites, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what