Sweden bomber fulfilled Qaeda in Iraq threat: SITE
Dubai: The man suspected of carrying out
weekend bombings in Sweden said in a purported will he was
fulfilling a threat by al Qaeda in Iraq to attack Sweden, the
SITE monitoring group said on Monday.
"(The) Islamic State (of Iraq) has fulfilled what it
promised you," said Taymour Abdel Wahab in the will posted by
a jihadist on the Shumukh al-Islam website, according to the
The Swedish capital was hit by twin explosions on
Saturday -- a suspected suicide attack and separate blast --
targeting Christmas shoppers in a busy pedestrian area of the
A man investigators suspect may have been the bomber
was killed while the other explosion nearby injured two
Shumukh al-Islam named Taymour Abdel Wahab as the man
responsible for the blasts, although Sweden`s intelligence
agency Saepo has refused to comment on the claim.
The late chief of the self-proclaimed Islamic State of
Iraq, Abu Omar al-Baghdadi, had called in an audio message in
September 2007 for reprisals in Sweden for the cartoons of
Islam`s prophet Mohammed by Swedish cartoonist Lars Vilks.
Baghdadi also offered cash for killing the cartoonist
and named Swedish companies like Ericsson, Ikea, and Volvo, as
potential targets to harm Sweden`s economy.
British media reported today that Wahab had studied at
the University of Bedfordshire in Luton, around 30 miles (50
kilometres) north of London, and had been living in the town
in recent years.
His wife and children were reportedly still living in
Luton, The Daily Mail and The Daily Telegraph reported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city