Syria chemical attack could`ve been avoided: Russia
United Nations: The chemical attack in the suburbs of Damascus Aug 21 could have been avoided, according to Russia`s Permanent Representative to the UN Vitaly Churkin.
Speaking at the first meeting of the 68th session of the UN General Assembly, Churkin said Tuesday the attack could have been avoided had the use of toxic agents near Aleppo March 19 been promptly investigated.
“The tragedy in Ghouta could have been avoided if the use of chemical weapons in Aleppo March 19 had been promptly investigated,” he said, stressing that the Syrian request to the UN for investigation into the incident was “strongly supported” by Russia.
The diplomat said that “the organisation of such an investigation then ran into manipulations by a number of states” that attempted to “divert” UN attention from it and focus on other “dubious cases”.
But that did not prevent Russian experts from studying the case, the envoy said.
According to the findings of the Russian investigation, “the extremist anti-government forces are behind the use of chemical weapons in Aleppo”, he stressed.
According to Churkin, Russia hoped that the UN inspectors, having completed their work in Ghouta, without delay return to the investigation of the originally specified three cases on the use of chemical weapons.
These include the March 19 case in Aleppo “as well as the incidents with intoxication of Syrian soldiers that occurred Aug 22, 24 and 25”, which were reported at the end of August by Syrian Ambassador to the UN Bashar Jaafari, Churkin said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!