Syria threatens to strike Lebanon militant bases
Beirut: The Syrian foreign ministry has threatened to strike militant bases on Lebanese territory if Beirut fails to beef up security on their common border and prevent infiltration.
"The Syrian armed forces have showed restraint and have not delivered strikes on the bases of militant groups in Lebanon to prevent their intrusion into Syria, but that cannot last forever," the Syrian foreign ministry said in a statement to the Lebanese foreign ministry.
According to the Syrian ministry, several groups of terrorists have infiltrated into Syria from Lebanon, and the Syrian army was fighting them in several villages near the border.
Syria`s state-run news agency Sana claimed earlier this month that the US military had made raids into Syria from Lebanon and Jordan for reconnaissance purposes and was preparing terrorist operations in support of Syrian rebels.
The US has consistently denied giving any military help to the Syrian opposition.
Syria has been locked in a civil war since demonstrations broke out against President Bashar al-Assad in March 2011. According to UN estimates, at least 70,000 people have been killed in the conflict.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- After Jayalalithaa, Sasikala Natarajan holds all cards – Know more about her