Syria threatens to strike Lebanon militant bases
Beirut: The Syrian foreign ministry has threatened to strike militant bases on Lebanese territory if Beirut fails to beef up security on their common border and prevent infiltration.
"The Syrian armed forces have showed restraint and have not delivered strikes on the bases of militant groups in Lebanon to prevent their intrusion into Syria, but that cannot last forever," the Syrian foreign ministry said in a statement to the Lebanese foreign ministry.
According to the Syrian ministry, several groups of terrorists have infiltrated into Syria from Lebanon, and the Syrian army was fighting them in several villages near the border.
Syria`s state-run news agency Sana claimed earlier this month that the US military had made raids into Syria from Lebanon and Jordan for reconnaissance purposes and was preparing terrorist operations in support of Syrian rebels.
The US has consistently denied giving any military help to the Syrian opposition.
Syria has been locked in a civil war since demonstrations broke out against President Bashar al-Assad in March 2011. According to UN estimates, at least 70,000 people have been killed in the conflict.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Suresh Raina denies Lalit Modi's match-fixing allegation, mulls legal action against former IPL boss