Syrian al Qaeda branch claims suicide attacks
Beirut: A Syrian branch of al Qaeda on Tuesday claimed responsibility for what the group said were suicide attacks on security compounds in Damascus that killed at least five people, while troops fought rebels on the edge of the capital in the latest surge of violence in the Syrian capital.
The claim by Jabhat al-Nusra, the first in months, came as the UN`s special representative trying to end Syria`s civil war said hopes for convening a peace conference next month are fading.
The Nusra Front has emerged as the most effective fighting force on the side of the opposition fighting to oust President Bashar Assad. The group has previously claimed car bombings and attacks on government soldiers and its fighters have been leading other rebels groups in battles for military bases in the north much of which is under control of the opposition.
The group`s affiliation with al Qaeda, however, has significantly contributed to the reluctance of the opposition`s Western backers to arm the rebels with heavier weapons.
More than 93,000 people have been killed since the Syrian conflict began in March 2011. It started as peaceful protests against Assad`s rule but turned into a civil war after some opposition members took up arms to fight the government`s harsh crackdown on dissent.
Since then, radical groups like the Nusra front have gained influence on the battlefield as opposition`s political leadership struggles to unify its ranks.
The conflict has taken increasingly sectarian tones with Sunni Muslims dominating rebel groups fighting against Assad`s regime, which is predominantly Alawite, an offshoot sect of Shiite Islam.
Even the most modest international efforts to end the Syrian conflict have failed.
In Switzerland, UN`s special envoy to Syria, Lakhdar Brahimi, told reporters he still hopes a second round of international negotiations to find a political solution to the conflict can be convened in Geneva but not until later in the summer.
"Frankly now, I doubt whether the conference will take place in July," he said, noting that the Syrian opposition is not meeting until early July and probably would not be ready.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened