Syrian attorney general resigns: Activists
Beirut: The attorney general of a restive Syrian city has appeared on a video declaring his resignation over the regime`s deadly assault on protesters.
In the video released late Wednesday, Judge Adnan Bakkour says he is resigning because security forces killed 72 prisoners in the city of Hama on July 31 and because another 420 were killed during a siege on the city in August.
But Syria`s state-run news agency says "terrorists" kidnapped Bakkour on Monday and forced him to make the video.
The regime has banned foreign journalists and restricted local coverage, making it difficult to independently verify events on the ground.
Some 2,200 people have been killed in the crackdown on the five-month-old protest movement.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'