Syrian attorney general resigns: Activists
Beirut: The attorney general of a restive Syrian city has appeared on a video declaring his resignation over the regime`s deadly assault on protesters.
In the video released late Wednesday, Judge Adnan Bakkour says he is resigning because security forces killed 72 prisoners in the city of Hama on July 31 and because another 420 were killed during a siege on the city in August.
But Syria`s state-run news agency says "terrorists" kidnapped Bakkour on Monday and forced him to make the video.
The regime has banned foreign journalists and restricted local coverage, making it difficult to independently verify events on the ground.
Some 2,200 people have been killed in the crackdown on the five-month-old protest movement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok