Syrian domestic opposition group calls for peace
Damascus: A leading Syrian opposition group at home Monday called upon the international community to revive efforts to find a political solution to the crisis instead of resorting to military threats.
The National Coordination Body (NCB) said at a press conference that the US threat of a military action emanats basically from Washington`s own interests and the security of Israel, its main ally in the region, Xinhua reported.
The remarks came while the US is considering a military operation against Syria for its alleged use of chemical weapons in the countryside of Damascus on Aug 21.
"We believe that the US actions emanate from its own interests and thus the aim of its possible strike against Syria is not to achieve a democratic change in Syria," Rajaa al-Nasser, a leading member of the NCB, told a press conference.
Al-Nasser called for reviving efforts for a political solution in Syria.
"We urge for... a real political solution and reaching an American-Russian consensus on reviving the international conference of Geneva, and we think that returning to Geneva conference would be the suitable substitute to the strike," he said
The planned conference in Geneva was expected to be attended by representatives from the Syrian government and the opposition groups, and was designed in accordance with the US-Russian efforts to revive political options for resolving the Syrian crisis. The meeting has been put on hold due to various hurdles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch