Syrian domestic opposition group calls for peace
Damascus: A leading Syrian opposition group at home Monday called upon the international community to revive efforts to find a political solution to the crisis instead of resorting to military threats.
The National Coordination Body (NCB) said at a press conference that the US threat of a military action emanats basically from Washington`s own interests and the security of Israel, its main ally in the region, Xinhua reported.
The remarks came while the US is considering a military operation against Syria for its alleged use of chemical weapons in the countryside of Damascus on Aug 21.
"We believe that the US actions emanate from its own interests and thus the aim of its possible strike against Syria is not to achieve a democratic change in Syria," Rajaa al-Nasser, a leading member of the NCB, told a press conference.
Al-Nasser called for reviving efforts for a political solution in Syria.
"We urge for... a real political solution and reaching an American-Russian consensus on reviving the international conference of Geneva, and we think that returning to Geneva conference would be the suitable substitute to the strike," he said
The planned conference in Geneva was expected to be attended by representatives from the Syrian government and the opposition groups, and was designed in accordance with the US-Russian efforts to revive political options for resolving the Syrian crisis. The meeting has been put on hold due to various hurdles.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know