Syrian PM`s defection shows isolation of Assad: Italy
Rome: The defection Monday of Syrian prime minister Riyad Hijab demonstrates the "progressive isolation" of President Bashar al-Assad, Italian Foreign Minister Giulio Terzi said.
The defection was evidence of Assad`s increasing marginalisation that has launched the troubled country on the road to "implosion", Terzi said.
"It is a clear sign of how the violence committed towards his own country pushed his regime on the edge of an inexorable implosion," he said.
Hijab, who took the prime ministerial job in June following elections in the previous month, turned his back on Assad to join the opposition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror