Syrian PM`s defection shows isolation of Assad: Italy
Rome: The defection Monday of Syrian prime minister Riyad Hijab demonstrates the "progressive isolation" of President Bashar al-Assad, Italian Foreign Minister Giulio Terzi said.
The defection was evidence of Assad`s increasing marginalisation that has launched the troubled country on the road to "implosion", Terzi said.
"It is a clear sign of how the violence committed towards his own country pushed his regime on the edge of an inexorable implosion," he said.
Hijab, who took the prime ministerial job in June following elections in the previous month, turned his back on Assad to join the opposition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead