Syria`s Assad appoints new security officials
Damascus: A Syrian government official says President Bashar al-Assad has named five officials to top security posts in a reshuffle of the regime`s inner circle.
One of today`s appointments replaces Assad`s national security chief, who died last week after being wounded in a rebel bombing that also killed three other officials.
The new appointees are known regime figures, making it unlikely that the reshuffle will alter the government`s efforts to defeat anti-Assad rebels.
Rebel groups are battling the government across Syria as the country`s 16-month crisis grows increasingly violent and chaotic.
Last week`s bomb attack struck a sharp blow to the regime`s top brass, though government troops have now largely routed rebel forces fighting in the capital.
The official spoke on condition of anonymity in order to discuss security matters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena was Indrani’s daughter from her previous marriage, not sister
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- DNA: Sheena Bora's murder case- Know how the mystery unfolded!
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea