Syria`s Assad appoints new security officials
Damascus: A Syrian government official says President Bashar al-Assad has named five officials to top security posts in a reshuffle of the regime`s inner circle.
One of today`s appointments replaces Assad`s national security chief, who died last week after being wounded in a rebel bombing that also killed three other officials.
The new appointees are known regime figures, making it unlikely that the reshuffle will alter the government`s efforts to defeat anti-Assad rebels.
Rebel groups are battling the government across Syria as the country`s 16-month crisis grows increasingly violent and chaotic.
Last week`s bomb attack struck a sharp blow to the regime`s top brass, though government troops have now largely routed rebel forces fighting in the capital.
The official spoke on condition of anonymity in order to discuss security matters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’