Ten workers fall to death at Manila work site
Manila: A temporary elevator at a building
construction site in the Philippine capital plunged 25 floors
today, killing 10 workers, officials said.
The workers were installing glass windows at a high-rise
condominium when a platform elevator gave way, sending them
tumbling down from the 32nd to the seventh floor, said Mayor
Junjun Binay of Makati city, Manila`s financial district.
Police and rescue officials said 10 workers were killed.
One worker was in critical condition, but it was not
immediately clear how many were on the platform, Binay said.
In a statement, building owner Eton Properties
Philippines, Inc said the workers were employees of its glass
contractor and were on a break at the time of the accident.
The workers took the platform to go up the 39-story building
``instead of taking the stairs,`` the statement said.
``However, since the platform can only carry a few
workers, the cable snapped,`` it said, adding that the company
has ordered a review of the safety regulations of its
subcontractors and construction management.
The company`s website describes Eton as the global real
estate arm of the Lucio Tan Group and a sister company of the
Philippine National Bank and Philippine Airlines.
Binay ordered construction at the site halted.
The Philippines, particularly Manila, has been
experiencing a construction boom since last year, driven by
low interest rates, the large number of foreign remittances
from 9 million Filipinos working abroad and the need for more
office space to accommodate the country`s growing outsourcing
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA