Thailand`s PM-to-be denies job for Thaksin
Bangkok: Thailand`s next leader Yingluck Shinawatra on Wednesday dismissed mounting speculation that her brother Thaksin, who was ousted in a 2006 coup, will be given an official role under her tenure.
Yingluck, who fronted the opposition Puea Thai party`s election campaign as the political stand-in for her fugitive sibling, stormed to victory in Sunday`s polls and has assembled a five-party coalition.
But she dismissed media reports that said Thaksin, who lives in self-imposed exile in Dubai to avoid a jail term for corruption, was likely to become a government trade envoy promoting the kingdom`s exports abroad.
"It`s not true, there is no such position appointed," Yingluck told reporters as she arrived at her party`s headquarters in Bangkok for a meeting with economic advisers.
"There is no role for Thaksin. He is only giving moral support and advice," she said. "He is fine overseas and he is not anticipating getting any political position. He merely wants to see national reconciliation."
The return of Thaksin, a deeply divisive figure in Thailand, would risk angering his foes in the Bangkok-based elites in the military, palace and bureaucracy and could spark further turmoil after years of violent protests.
After his sister`s win, Thaksin said he had no plan to return to office himself and that setting foot back in Thailand was not a priority, but he has previously expressed hopes to be at his daughter`s wedding in December.
Yingluck, who is yet to be officially appointed by a new Parliament, has formed a five-party coalition that will control about three fifths of the lower house seats, but the new cabinet line-up is yet to be announced.
"No single cabinet post has been named. Today I want to focus firstly on policy, and how to implement our campaign platform," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org