Three dead in Azerbaijan military shooting: Ministry
Baku: An Azerbaijani soldier shot dead two
fellow troops and wounded a third before killing himself, the
defence ministry said on Wednesday, in the latest shooting rampage to
hit the ex-Soviet republic.
"On June 29 soldier Djafar Mamedrzayev shot two fellow
servicemen with a submachine gun before killing himself.
Another soldier has been wounded," the ministry said in a
statement a day after the shootings.
No further details were immediately available. The
ministry said it had launched an investigation into the
The killings were the fourth mass shooting in Azerbaijan
in under a year and the third within the military.
In a similar shooting last January, two Azerbaijani
soldiers shot and killed four fellow servicemen before killing
In a 2008 report, the International Crisis Group said
Azerbaijan`s military was plagued by "endemic corruption,
nepotism and hazing".
Azerbaijani military prosecutors in 2008 arrested two
sergeants and reprimanded several senior officers after videos
surfaced on the Internet of conscript soldiers being savagely
Authorities however have denied that hazing is widespread
in the military.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened