Three dead in Azerbaijan military shooting: Ministry
Baku: An Azerbaijani soldier shot dead two
fellow troops and wounded a third before killing himself, the
defence ministry said on Wednesday, in the latest shooting rampage to
hit the ex-Soviet republic.
"On June 29 soldier Djafar Mamedrzayev shot two fellow
servicemen with a submachine gun before killing himself.
Another soldier has been wounded," the ministry said in a
statement a day after the shootings.
No further details were immediately available. The
ministry said it had launched an investigation into the
The killings were the fourth mass shooting in Azerbaijan
in under a year and the third within the military.
In a similar shooting last January, two Azerbaijani
soldiers shot and killed four fellow servicemen before killing
In a 2008 report, the International Crisis Group said
Azerbaijan`s military was plagued by "endemic corruption,
nepotism and hazing".
Azerbaijani military prosecutors in 2008 arrested two
sergeants and reprimanded several senior officers after videos
surfaced on the Internet of conscript soldiers being savagely
Authorities however have denied that hazing is widespread
in the military.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof