Three Dutch soldiers captured in Libya: Ministry
The Hague: Three Dutch soldiers were taken
prisoner at the weekend by armed men during an operation to
evacuate civilians from Libya, the Dutch defence ministry said
"We confirm it," a navy official told AFP when asked
about the capture of three marines Sunday reported by Dutch
daily De Telegraaf.
The paper said the three marines were captured by armed
men loyal to Libyan leader Moamer Kadhafi while helping with
the evacuation from Sirte in northern Libya of two unnamed
civilians, one Dutch and another European, in a helicopter.
The marines were attacked after the helicopter landed.
The two civilians were handed over by the Libyans to the Dutch
embassy and have since left Libya, according to De Telegraaf.
"Intensive diplomatic discussions are underway for the
freeing of the prisoners," according to the Dutch defence
ministry quoted by ANP news agency.
The marines and the helicopter were based on board the
Dutch frigate Tromp. The warship, which was initially to have
taken part in an anti-piracy operation off Somalia, headed on
February 24 for the Libyan coast.
The failure of the rescue operation and the capture of
the Dutch marines were not made public earlier for security
reasons, De Telegraaf said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark