Three US soldiers killed in south Iraq
Baghdad: Three US soldiers were killed in action in southern Iraq on Wednesday, the military said, making June the deadliest month for American soldiers here in three years.
"Three US service members were killed on Wednesday in southern Iraq," the US military said in a statement on Thursday.
"We can confirm that the soldiers were killed in a hostile event," a military spokeswoman said in an e-mail.
Since June 1, 14 US soldiers have been killed in Iraq -- making it the deadliest since June 2008, when 23 US soldiers were killed.
Sunday`s deaths take the overall US death toll since the March 2003 invasion to 4,469, according to a count based on the independent website, www.icasualties.org.
Nearly 50,000 American troops are still in Iraq, down from a peak of more than 170,000 after the invasion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?