Tibetan man sets himself on fire to protest China
Beijing: The grandfather of a revered Tibetan Buddhist figure died on Saturday after setting himself on fire in protest of Chinese rule, the London-based rights group Free Tibet said.
The incident is the latest of dozens of self-immolations by Tibetans since 2009.
Free Tibet said 52-year-old Tamdrin Dorjee died at the scene near Tsoe Monastery in northwestern China`s Gansu province.
It said the man is the grandfather of the 7th Gungthang Rinpoche, believed by Tibetan Buddhists to be the reincarnation of an important religious figure.
Dorjee`s body was taken to his home village, Free Tibet said. Photos said to be from the scene show dozens of villagers and monks gathered around a body in smoke.
The Tibetan government-in-exile confirmed the report. It said a heavy presence of paramilitary police in and around the monastery followed the self-immolation.
More than 50 Tibetans have self-immolated to protest China`s rule of the Himalayan region, and most of them have died, according to tallies by Tibetan rights groups.
The government-in-exile has urged Tibetans not to give up their lives in self-immolation protests. Meanwhile, it tries to gain international support for their struggles against China`s rule.
Calls to the government and police offices for Gannan Tibetan Autonomous Prefecture, where the self-immolation took place, rang unanswered yesterday evening.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!