Tibetan monk commits self-immolation in China
Beijing: A Tibetan monk has committed self- immolation, taking the total number to 15 in recent months apparently seeking the return of the Dalai Lama to Tibet as China tightened control of the Buddhist monasteries to prevent the recurring suicide attempts.
40-year-old Nyage Sonamdrugyu was the latest Tibetan monk to die due to self-immolation in China`s northwest Qinghai Province.
So far 15 monks, including two nuns, have set themselves on fire during the last few months apparently to protest curbs and to demand the return of the Tibetan spiritual leader, who is based in Dharamshala since 1959.
However, the state-run Xinhua news agency today said that Sonamdrugyu took the extreme measures out of shame when his love affair with a local woman was exposed.
He set himself ablaze early on Sunday at an intersection Gyumai town, the county seat of the Tibetan-concentrated Darlag.
The suicide followed the death of one "former" Buddhist monk who set himself on fire and unsuccessful bid by another in southwest China`s Sichuan province two days ago.
Chinese officials alleged the two monks were involved in "thefts".
"The several self-immolation cases recently were committed by people who previously were punished for their wrongdoings such as whoring, gambling and burglary, or deep in debt because of gambling," Gang Zheng, a ‘Tibetology expert’ with the Sichuan Tibetology Research Centre, alleged in the report.
A spokesman with the county committee of the Communist Party of China said Sonamdrugyu was a "self-claimed" living Buddha of the Gelugpa sect, who allegedly committed suicide because his secret love affair with a local woman was discovered.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day