Ties with Egypt must be preserved: Israeli PM
Jerusalem: Israel`s Prime Minister says his country`s three-decade-old peace agreement with Egypt must be preserved.
It is Benjamin Netanyahu`s first public statement on the political turmoil affecting Israel`s neighbour and ally. The Israeli leader says his "objective is to ensure that these ties be preserved”.
Israeli officials have been publicly silent as protests in Egypt have destabilised the autocratic regime of President Hosni Mubarak. Crowds calling for Mubarak`s resignation have clashed with police and torched government buildings.
Israel signed a peace agreement with Mubarak`s predecessor in 1979. Before that, the two countries had fought four wars in three decades.
Ties have been cool but stable, allowing Israel to scale back its armed forces.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- SHOCKING: When Narsingh Yadav was caught cheating in a Maharashtra police exam!
- Delhi again failed her Nirbhaya, says DCW chief as 14-year-old Dalit rape victim dies
- Check out five stunning Instagram photos of ‘Mohenjo Daro’ beauty Pooja Hegde
- Xiaomi Mi Note 2 likely to be launched today
- Kabir Khan shares pic of stunning location where Salman Khan’s ‘Tubelight’ shoot will begin