Top US commander calls for Asia-Pacific security environment
Washington: The top US commander in-charge of the Pacific Command stretching from California to India has called for creation of a security environment in the region, which he said is facing a series of challenges that need to be addressed tactfully.
"The future structure of regional institutions, and whether international relations in the region will be characterised more by conflict, competition, a balance of power, or collective security is unclear," PACOM Commander, Admiral Samuel J Locklear III, said in a speech yesterday.
"But we must work together to create a security environment that is resilient and can withstand the inevitable shocks and aftershocks of our complex security environment," he said.
Locklear said if not managed properly, these challenges can significantly stress the security environment.
Among the challenges he listed climate change and transnational, non-state threats including pandemics, pirates, terrorists and criminal organisations.
"Historic and emerging border and territorial disputes will no doubt continue and will stress the security environment. Access and freedom of action in the shared domains of sea, space and cyberspace will be increasingly challenged," he said.
"The rise of China and India as global economic powers and their emergence as regional military powers will continue. And finally, one of our challenges that must be addressed is the fact that no single governance mechanism, like NATO, exists in the Asia-Pacific to help manage relationships and provide a framework for conflict resolution," he said.
He said that instability on the Korean Peninsula will persist as North Korea continues to threaten the regional and global security environment with their nuclear and ballistic missile programs.
"It can be a tough neighbourhood with nationalistic tendencies that can split and divide us and can lead to a weak system of security environments," he added.
The security environment consists of a patchwork of interwoven security relationships that have been shaped by history, shared interest, and are increasingly driven by economic interconnectivity, the PACOM commander said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly