Tsunami hits Japan coast after powerful earthquake
Zee Media Bureau/Tarun Khanna
Tokyo: Tsunami waves of up to one metre hit the coast of Japan after a powerful earthquake on Friday.
There were no immediate reports of damage on land from the quake, classified as magnitude 7.1 by the Japan Meteorological Agency, which struck about 370 km (230 miles) out to sea. Earlier the agency said the quake had a magnitude of 6.8.
The US Geological Survey has measured the quake at the magnitude of 7.3 on Richter Scale.
The Japan Meteorological Agency issued a "yellow" warning shortly after the 1.10 pm EDT quake that a small tsunami would reach the northeastern Japanese coast.
Detail about any loss of life or property is not yet reported. A moderate earthquake had struck Hachijo-jima in Japan on October 9.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India