Tunisian Islamist leader re-elected as party head
Tunis: Delegates of Tunisia`s most powerful Islamist party have re-elected a moderate as their leader by a landslide, snubbing candidates that believed in imposing Islamic law on the country.
Rachid Ghannouchi, 71, was re-elected by 72.58 per cent of the vote in the early hours of the morning on Tuesday.
Over the past five days the Islamist Ennahda Party held its first party conference in public after years of a clandestine existence suppressed by Tunisia`s since deposed dictatorship.
The party conference has been closely watched because Ennahda holds the most seats in the assembly elected in October charged with running the country and writing its new constitution.
The party announced at the end of the conference it will push for a parliamentary system for Tunisia, rather than the strong presidency it had before.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof