UAE bans ANTONOV An-12 aircraft from its airspace
Dubai: The UAE has decided to ban ANTONOV An-12 aircraft from its airspace from March 1, after the Ukrainian-built freighter failed in the airworthiness evaluation.
The decision was made after the General Civil Aviation Authority (GCAA), in co-operation with international specialised organisations, set up a special technical committee to determine airworthiness of the foreign aircraft flying to the UAE airports.
The technical committee conducted a technical audit on ANTONOV Design Bureau, the design organisation in Ukraine for An-12 aircraft to determine the airworthiness of this aircraft.
The audit team also assessed the civil aviation administration system in Ukraine. The audit showed that the aircraft does not meet all of the international safety standards.
Saif Mohammed Al Suwaidi, director general of the GCAA, stated that GCAA focuses on the safety and security of the civil aviation sector in the UAE and applies strict standards in assessing the levels of security and safety with the operators of aircraft registered in the country.
Ismail Mohammed Al Balooshi, director of safety at GCAA, said that at the beginning of last year, GCAA started applying an advanced programme which particularly allows the assessment of aircraft registered in foreign countries in order to ensure their safety and airworthiness.
"There were numerous incidents that involved ANTONOV aircraft in year 2008, including three minor incidents at Sharjah International Airport and one crash in Iraq. That is why GCAA made an initial decision to temporarily ban this aircraft model which posed a threat to air safety, pending the results of the assessment by the technical committee regarding the airworthiness of Antonov An-12. The assessment showed that this aircraft can not be operated safely," he added.
Al Balooshi stressed that this action aims at protecting the interests of the UAE in terms of security, safety and protection of the people and facilities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured