UK Army told to recruit from ethnic minorities
London: UK Defence Secretary Philip Hammond has said that the British Army needs to reflect modern British society, and therefore, it needs to recruit from the country`s ethnic minorities.
Addressing a Royal United Service Institute conference, Hammond said: "The British Army needs to reflect British society. This is clearly a challenge now; to recruit from the ethnic minorities within British society in proportions that reflect that society.”
"While we are determined to maintain an effective regimental system, it must be based on the realities of today, and the primacy of capability. That means focusing on analysis of recruitment performance, demographic trends and future recruiting needs," The Telegraph quoted him as saying.
According to the paper, less than seven percent of the Armed Forces are from ethnic minorities, which includes a significant number of personnel from outside the country, meaning the proportion of non-white British citizens is significantly lower, in contrast to the Office for National Statistics, which estimates that around 15 percent of the population is non-white.
Hammond warned the Army that it will have to work much harder to recruit new soldiers in future. To make up for the loss of 20,000 soldiers, ministers have ordered an expansion of the Territorial Army, which is now known as "the Army Reserve". -
The part-time force has been told to have 30,000 personnel ready to deploy by 2020, a figure that regular commanders say is unrealistic.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray