UK PM, Suu Kyi back suspension of Myanmar sanctions
Yangon: British Prime Minister David Cameron on Friday met President Thein Sein and pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi on a one day visit to Myanmar.
Cameron’s historic visit is considered to be the first by the serving British Prime Minister in decades by a Western leader to the military-dominated country in decades.
Ex-general Thein Sein hailed the summit as historic as he welcomed Cameron to his official residence in the regime`s showpiece capital Naypyidaw.
After conducting one-to-one talks, Cameron had lunch with Thein Sein, before travelling to the former capital Yangon for talks with Suu Kyi.
Cameron entered talks with the Nobel Peace Prize winner at the Yangon home where she was locked up for much of the past 22 years by the military junta who ruled the country for almost half a century until last year.
During the talks, British PM David Cameron said, "I think the time is right to suspend rather than lift the economic sanctions. World should recognise the changes that have taken place in Myanmar. We should respond when regime takes action. Myanmar can have bright future after democracy.”
While welcoming Cameron’s suggestions, Suu Kyi said, “I support idea of suspending sanctions. We appreciate the help from UK and other countries. I hope this year will bring democracy in our country.”
"We must continue taking calculated risks", she added.
Cameron praised Suu Kyi by saying she has been an `inspiration` and he also invited her to Britain in June after holding landmark dialogues.
Cameron is on trade mission in South East Asian country rich in untapped resources and desperate to attract foreign investment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Amethi: Rahul Gandhi faces protests from angry villagers
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'