UN chief concerned about Israeli settlements in West Bank
United Nations: UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has voiced deep concern over continued Israeli settlement activity in the West Bank, calling it "unhelpful" and a "deeply worrisome trend".
"The secretary-general is deeply concerned by the continuing expansion of Israeli settlements in the West Bank in violation of international law," Xinhua quoted a statement issued by Ban`s spokesperson as saying.
"He (Ban) is particularly troubled by reports that planning for hundreds of housing units in the settlement of Itamar, deep into the West Bank, has advanced to the next stage, as is also the case in the outpost of Bruchin," the statement said.
According to reports, Israel is putting forward a plan to build 500 new housing units in the Jewish settlement of Bruchin in the West Bank. Palestinian officials blamed the move for "destroying US Secretary of State John Kerry`s efforts to revive peace talks".
"The secretary-general also remains concerned about reported plans for around 1,000 settlement units in East Jerusalem and steps to authorise four illegal settlement outposts deep in the West Bank," the statement said.
These developments are "unhelpful decisions that undermine progress towards the two-state solution," it said. "They constitute a deeply worrisome trend at a moment of ongoing efforts to re-launch peace negotiations," the statement added.
Peace talks between Israel and Palestine collapsed in 2010 due to Israel`s refusal to freeze settlement construction in the West Bank and East Jerusalem.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre