UN Security Council cancels meeting on Syria
United Nations: The UN Security Council has cancelled a meeting on a resolution aimed at securing and destroying Syria`s chemical weapons stockpiles.
The closed consultations had been scheduled for 4 p.M. today. Australian Ambassador Gary Guinlan says in a Twitter message that the meeting was cancelled "following withdrawal of the request for consultations."
Council diplomats said Russia asked for the meeting and then withdrew its request. There were no other details.
The Syrian government has accepted a proposal from Russia, its most powerful ally, to give up its chemical weapons stockpile. France has announced that it plans to introduce a Security Council resolution to ensure international verification of the disarmament.
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights?
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part II
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part III
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part IV
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?
- 40 cities to be selected in second round of smart city project: Govt
- Archery World Cup: Deepika Kumari makes quarterfinal exit as no Indian left in individual events
- Vedanta posts Q4 loss of Rs 11,181 crore on impairment charge
- RBI proposes to regulate peer-to-peer lending sector
- Mamta Kulkarni's husband involved in country's biggest drug seizure?