UNESCO cuts funds for Palestinian magazine
Jerusalem: The UN`s cultural agency said
on Friday it is pulling funding for a Palestinian youth magazine
that published an article suggesting admiration for Hitler.
The magazine, Zayzafouna, published an article in
February written by a teenage girl who presented four role
models: a medieval Persian mathematician, a modern Egyptian
novelist, the Muslim warrior Saladin, and the Nazi leader.
UNESCO said in a statement it "strongly deplores and
condemns" the "unacceptable" material and would cease funding
the magazine. UNESCO also said it funded three different
issues later in 2011, and not the one in question.
The magazine also receives funding from the Palestinian
Authority, the Western-backed Palestinian government in the
In the article, the author has Hitler telling her in a
dream that he killed Jews "so you would all know that they are
a nation which spreads destruction all over the world."
He advises her to be "resilient and patient concerning the
suffering that Palestine is experiencing at their hands."
"Thanks for the advice," the narrator replies.
A translation was made public by Palestinian Media Watch, an
Israeli organization that tracks incitement in Palestinian
The magazine`s director, Shareef Samhan, did not dispute
the translation, though he said the girl was "accusing" Hitler
and not praising him. He said he had not been aware of the
text and noted that UNESCO was not a central backer of the
He defended the publication. "We depend in the content of
our magazine on the participation of school students, and it`s
not our job to prohibit the freedom of speech," he said.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today