UNESCO weighs ousting Syria from rights committee
Paris: Officials at UNESCO are preparing to decide whether to remove Syria from a human rights committee as the Syrian government proceeds with its deadly crackdown on protesters.
A commission of the UN cultural body`s executive board is expected to debate Syria`s role on the committee today.
Several countries want to unseat Syria from the Committee on Conventions and Recommendations. The committee deals with multiple issues, but has a strong human rights component.
Syria was named to the committee in November. Now, a number of countries, from the United States and Britain to Qatar and Kuwait, are mounting a campaign to remove Syria.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon