UNSC extends Iraq mission for another year
New York: The UN Security Council has adopted a resolution to extend the mandate of the UN Assistance Mission in Iraq (UNAMI) for another year.
In the resolution, the mandate of UNAMI is extended till July 31, 2014 and will be reviewed in 12 months time, Xinhua reported.
While underscoring the sovereignty of the government of Iraq, the Security Council emphasised that "all parties should continue to take all feasible steps and to develop modalities to ensure the protection of affected civilians, including children, women and members of religious and ethnic minority groups".
In line with this, the 15-member Council reiterated the importance of equal rights for women and children in Iraq.
The Council reaffirmed "the key role women can play in re- establishing the fabric of society and stressing the need for their full political participation, including in the development of national strategies in order to take into their perspectives", said the resolution.
The resolution also stressed that security of UN personnel is essential for UNAMI to carry out its work for the benefit of the people of Iraq and called upon the government of Iraq to continue to provide security and logistical support to the mission.
Established in 2003, UNAMI is mandated to advise and assist the government and people of Iraq on a number of fronts. This includes advancing inclusive, political dialogue and national reconciliation, assisting in the electoral process and in the planning for a national census, facilitating regional dialogue between Iraq and its neighbours, and promoting the protection of human rights and judicial and legal reform.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Delhi government bans Chinese firecrackers for this Diwali