US boy who walked 10 miles to interview lands job
Washington: An 18-year-old boy from Indianapolis was hired to work in a restaurant, when the owner spotted him walking 10 miles to a job interview.
After nearly six months of job searching, Reagan was spotted by a local restaurant owner last Friday walking to a job interview for a cashier position at a local thrift store.
When the restaurant owner, Art Bouvier, realized the trek Reagan was willing to make, he hired him on the spot for an entry-level position at his Papa Roux restaurant, ABC News reported.
"I have employees who can`t get here to work on time even though they have cars and very comfortable houses. Here`s a kid who planned his morning to walk three hours and 10 miles in the snow just for an interview," Bouvier said.
"If you`ll do that, you`ll definitely show up for work on time so I thought, `Yeah, I want you,`" he said.
Bouvier, 43, was laying ice melt outside when Reagan stopped to ask for directions. Instead of asking for bus money when Bouvier told him just how far away he was from his interview destination, Reagan kept walking.
Fifteen minutes later, Bouvier was in his car and spotted Reagan still walking so he called for him to get in and drove Reagan to his job interview. He also got his phone number.
When Bouvier called him later to check on his job interview, Reagan told him the interview went well but the potential employer had another candidate in mind for the position before he had even arrived. With that, Bouvier hired Reagan.
Reagan started his new position as a "crew member" at Papa Roux on Monday and is already making waves.
Reagan is staying with friends as he saves money for an apartment of his own, making his daily commute to the restaurant a 50-minute bus ride.
Thanks to his new notoriety - Bouvier`s Facebook post about him has received more than 15,000 likes - a Papa Roux customer gave Reagan 13 one-month bus passes to use.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert