US boy who walked 10 miles to interview lands job
Washington: An 18-year-old boy from Indianapolis was hired to work in a restaurant, when the owner spotted him walking 10 miles to a job interview.
After nearly six months of job searching, Reagan was spotted by a local restaurant owner last Friday walking to a job interview for a cashier position at a local thrift store.
When the restaurant owner, Art Bouvier, realized the trek Reagan was willing to make, he hired him on the spot for an entry-level position at his Papa Roux restaurant, ABC News reported.
"I have employees who can`t get here to work on time even though they have cars and very comfortable houses. Here`s a kid who planned his morning to walk three hours and 10 miles in the snow just for an interview," Bouvier said.
"If you`ll do that, you`ll definitely show up for work on time so I thought, `Yeah, I want you,`" he said.
Bouvier, 43, was laying ice melt outside when Reagan stopped to ask for directions. Instead of asking for bus money when Bouvier told him just how far away he was from his interview destination, Reagan kept walking.
Fifteen minutes later, Bouvier was in his car and spotted Reagan still walking so he called for him to get in and drove Reagan to his job interview. He also got his phone number.
When Bouvier called him later to check on his job interview, Reagan told him the interview went well but the potential employer had another candidate in mind for the position before he had even arrived. With that, Bouvier hired Reagan.
Reagan started his new position as a "crew member" at Papa Roux on Monday and is already making waves.
Reagan is staying with friends as he saves money for an apartment of his own, making his daily commute to the restaurant a 50-minute bus ride.
Thanks to his new notoriety - Bouvier`s Facebook post about him has received more than 15,000 likes - a Papa Roux customer gave Reagan 13 one-month bus passes to use.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla