US condemns Russia’s ‘politically motivated’ adoption ban
London: The Obama administration has condemned as ‘politically motivated’ a decision Moscow to ban Americans from adopting Russian children.
Russian President Vladimir Putin signed the controversial bill, with the immediate effect of preventing 52 children from joining pre-assigned parents in the US on Friday.
It marked the latest exchange over US legislation relating to the case of corruption lawyer Sergei Magnitsky.
In a statement on, the State Department criticised the signing of the bill by Putin, the Guardian reports.
It noted that over 60,000 Russian children had been adopted by Americans in the last 20 years.
According to the paper, Putin has masked the new rules on adoption with calls for patriotism, stating that Russia should care for its own citizens.
But inside Russia the bill has been criticised by opposition figures as "cannibalistic", with a petition against the act being signed by more than 100,000 people, the paper added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery