China orders children to visit their parents or face lawsuits
London: China has passed a law that requires adult children to visit their elderly parents or risk facing lawsuit.
The law does not specify how frequently such visits should occur, but warns that neglect could risk legal action.
Reports suggest a growing number of elderly Chinese have been abandoned or neglected by their offspring.
Newspapers in the country are full of such stories, or of tales of children trying to seize their parents`` assets, or of old people dying unnoticed in their homes, the BBC reports.
According to the report, the dislocation of families has been exacerbated by China`s one-child policy and a dramatic advance in life expectancy.
China has nearly 167 million people aged over 60, and one million above 80, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof