US govt spent nearly $3.7mn on former presidents in 2012: Report
Washington: The US government spent nearly 3.7 million dollars on former presidents in 2012, according to an analysis.
The analysis released by the nonpartisan Congressional Research Service, the expenses covered pension, compensation and benefits for office staff, and the government also picks up the tab for other costs like travel, office space and postage.
The 3.7 million dollars taxpayers shelled out in 2012 is about 200,000 dollars less than in 2011, and the sum in 2010 was even higher.
It`s a drop in the bucket compared with the trillions the government spends each year, Fox News reports.
According to the report, the most recent ex-president to leave the White House, Bush was granted almost 400,000 dollars for 8,000 square feet of office space in Dallas, plus 85,000 dollars in telephone costs. Another 60,000 dollars went to travel costs.
President Bill Clinton came in second at just under 1 million dollars, followed by George HW Bush at nearly 850,000 dollars.
Widows of former presidents are entitled to a pension of 20,000 dollars, but Nancy Reagan, the wife of former President Ronald Reagan, waived her pension last year.
The former first lady did accept 14,000 dollars in postage.
According to the report, the cost totals for ex-president don`t include what the Secret Service spends protecting them, their spouses and children.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!