`US` new strategy not targeted at any country`
Washington: The US` rebalancing strategy and more focus on the Asia-Pacific region is not targeted against any country, the Pentagon said on Tuesday, amidst concerns raised by China over the move.
"The (defence) secretary has made it clear on his trip that the defence strategy, which includes a rebalancing and more focus on the Asia-Pacific region, is not targeted at any one country in that region, but rather the region as a whole," Pentagon spokesman Navy Capt John Kirby told reporters at a news conference.
"We have significant security interests in the Asia-Pacific, significant security commitments to allies and partners in the region. It`s not aimed at rebuffing or trying to limit the growth and development of any one country," he said.
"Defence Secretary Leon Panetta has made it clear that the peaceful, prosperous rise of China is a good thing, not just for that region, but for the world," Kirby said in response to a question.
"As for the timeliness, I think we would all agree that the defence strategy as written and as endorsed by not only this department, but by the President, is absolutely timely. This is the right time to be looking at the Asia-Pacific region to renew our commitments there and to rebalance our resources and our attention there," Kirby argued.
In a major re-posturing, the US on June 02 had announced it will shift the bulk of its naval fleet including as many as six aircraft carriers to the Pacific by 2020 as part of new strategic focus on Asia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city