US reveals failed attempt to rescue James Foley; Obama warns of jihadist `cancer`
Zee Media Bureau
Washington: The Pentagon has revealed that the US military earlier this summer had tried to rescue American hostages held in Syria by the Islamic State (IS) but failed to find the captives.
Pentagon spokesman Rear Admiral John Kirby said in a statement that the unsuccessful rescue operation "involved air and ground components and was focused on a particular captor network within ISIL. Unfortunately, the mission was not successful because the hostages were not present at the targeted location."
While the Pentagon has not named James Foley, US media reports claimed that the mission in Syria was aimed at rescuing him, among others.
A White House statement added that the President had authorized action at this time because it was the national security team`s assessment that these hostages were in danger with each passing day in IS custody.
40-year-old Foley was publicly beheaded by IS a masked jihadist speaking English with a British accent, the video of which surfaced on the internet on Tuesday. Foley was kidnapped in northern Syria in November 2012.
"Any aggression toward the Islamic State is an aggression toward Muslims from all walks of life who have accepted the Islamic caliphate as their leadership," the masked militant declared in the video.
The IS has also threatened to kill a second American journalist, Steven Sotloff, if the US continues with air strikes in Iraq.
The execution of the freelance journalist provoked worldwide revulsion and condemnation with US President Barack Obama demanding the world take action against the "cancer" of jihadist extremism in Iraq. "When people harm Americans anywhere, we do what`s necessary to see that justice is done," he said.
Branding IS militants as genocidal murderers who target civilians and subject women and children to torture and rape and slavery, Obama said, "Jim Foley`s life stands in stark contrast to his killers."
"Their victims are overwhelmingly Muslim and no faith teaches people to massacre innocents. No just God would stand for what they did yesterday and what they do every single day," he declared.
"We will be vigilant and we will be relentless... From governments and peoples across the Middle East, there has to be a common effort to extract this cancer so it does not spread."
Shortly after Obama spoke, the US State Department ordered sending of 300 more troops to be sent to Iraq to protect US facilities.
US Central Command said 14 air strikes had been carried out on IS targets in Iraq in the 24 hours since the video was released.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM