US reveals failed attempt to rescue James Foley; Obama warns of jihadist `cancer`
Zee Media Bureau
Washington: The Pentagon has revealed that the US military earlier this summer had tried to rescue American hostages held in Syria by the Islamic State (IS) but failed to find the captives.
Pentagon spokesman Rear Admiral John Kirby said in a statement that the unsuccessful rescue operation "involved air and ground components and was focused on a particular captor network within ISIL. Unfortunately, the mission was not successful because the hostages were not present at the targeted location."
While the Pentagon has not named James Foley, US media reports claimed that the mission in Syria was aimed at rescuing him, among others.
A White House statement added that the President had authorized action at this time because it was the national security team`s assessment that these hostages were in danger with each passing day in IS custody.
40-year-old Foley was publicly beheaded by IS a masked jihadist speaking English with a British accent, the video of which surfaced on the internet on Tuesday. Foley was kidnapped in northern Syria in November 2012.
"Any aggression toward the Islamic State is an aggression toward Muslims from all walks of life who have accepted the Islamic caliphate as their leadership," the masked militant declared in the video.
The IS has also threatened to kill a second American journalist, Steven Sotloff, if the US continues with air strikes in Iraq.
The execution of the freelance journalist provoked worldwide revulsion and condemnation with US President Barack Obama demanding the world take action against the "cancer" of jihadist extremism in Iraq. "When people harm Americans anywhere, we do what`s necessary to see that justice is done," he said.
Branding IS militants as genocidal murderers who target civilians and subject women and children to torture and rape and slavery, Obama said, "Jim Foley`s life stands in stark contrast to his killers."
"Their victims are overwhelmingly Muslim and no faith teaches people to massacre innocents. No just God would stand for what they did yesterday and what they do every single day," he declared.
"We will be vigilant and we will be relentless... From governments and peoples across the Middle East, there has to be a common effort to extract this cancer so it does not spread."
Shortly after Obama spoke, the US State Department ordered sending of 300 more troops to be sent to Iraq to protect US facilities.
US Central Command said 14 air strikes had been carried out on IS targets in Iraq in the 24 hours since the video was released.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read