US sanctions Iran over human right violations
Washington: Tightening its noose around Iran, the United States has announced a set of targeted sanctions against 17 Iranian individuals and entities related to the country`s alleged human rights violations.
Within days of its re-election, the Obama Administration has rolled out three set of targeted sanctions against Iran.
"Today`s (Thursday) designations further demonstrate our resolve to put a stop to the Iranian regime`s continued efforts to deny the Iranian people access to information and the ability to speak freely," said Undersecretary for Terrorism and Financial Intelligence David Cohen.
The first being targeting a range of actors, five entities, including Iranian government entities, and four individuals, including government officials, who are responsible for serious human rights abuses in Iran, particularly those related to disrupting the Iranian people`s freedom to assemble, freedom to access information and freedom to speak.
At the same time, the Obama Administration is providing a report to the Congress on a strategy to promote internet freedom in Iran, a senior Treasury official told reporters during a conference call.
The latest American action coincide with amendments to the Iranian Financial Sanctions Regulations, 31 CFR Part 561, which further strengthen financial sanctions against the Iranian government and fulfil a number of requirements set forth in the Iran Threat Reduction and Syria Human Rights Act of 2012 (TRA), which was signed into law by the President on August 10, 2012.
The Obama Administration has designated the National Iranian Oil Company (NIOC), which US officials said is an agent or affiliate of Iran`s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC).The United States has also named other IRGC companies as
well as two academic institutions that have been established by and controlled by IRGC commanders and have served as centres for IRGC support, technological and otherwise. "So those are the three lines of targeted designation action," the officials said.
Further an amendment published in the Federal Register to Treasury`s Iranian financial sanctions regulations tightens the screws with respect to US-Iran sanctions by exposing foreign institutions that do business with any entities that the US has sanctioned with respect to Iran`s pursuit of weapons of mass destruction or its sponsorship of terrorism.
Talking to reporters during a conference call, a senior State Department official said that yesterday a number of sanctions go into effect, and a number of actions are called for. Sanctions went into effect on those transporting crude oil from Iran to non accepted countries.
"We are devoting the resources necessary to try to track that. Sanctions go into effect for concealing the origin of crude oil from Iran. Certain sanctions go into effect for providing insurance for shipping that kind of oil," the official said.
"We will continue to expose this repressive behaviour, as well as Iran’s continued proliferation activities and support to terrorists worldwide," Cohen added.
Among those slapped with sanctions include Ali Fazli, the Deputy Commander of the Basij militia, which has launched attacks against websites, including those of foreign news outlets, in an effort to suppress the Iranian people’s access to information; Reza Taghipour, the minister of Communications and Information Technology; Ministry of Culture and Islamic Guidance, and Imam Hossein University (IHU).
The IHU is being designated because it is owned or controlled by the IRGC and for providing, or attempting to provide technological, or other support for and services in support of the IRGC, the Treasury said. The IHU was established by IRGC Commander Mohsen Reza’i in 1986. Mohsen Reza’i served as the commander of the IRGC between 1981-1997.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark