US urges China to free Nobel dissident`s wife
Washington: The US is calling for China to release the wife of imprisoned Nobel laureate Liu Xiaobo from house arrest.
Liu Xia made rare appearance on Tuesday, leaving the Beijing apartment where she has been held for two-and-a-half years to attend the trial of her brother. She shouted to onlookers: "I`m not free."
In Washington on Wednesday, State Department spokesman Patrick Ventrell told reporters that the US remains deeply concerned that Liu Xia is under an "extra-legal house arrest”.
He said the US is closely monitoring the trial.
The brother is facing fraud charges that his lawyers said are trumped up to punish the family.
Ventrell reiterated Washington`s call for the release of Liu Xiaobo, who was jailed in late 2008 for authoring and disseminating a program for political reform.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal