US warns of failed Syrian peace plan
New York: US Ambassador Susan Rice says the worst and most likely scenario for Syria is that Kofi Annan`s peace plan will fail, spreading conflict and creating a major crisis across the region.
Rice said on Wednesday after a closed-door briefing to the UN Security Council by one of Annan`s deputies, that Syrian government was unlikely to immediately implement the Annan plan.
If President Bashar Assad refuses to implement the peace plan, Rice said the UN Security Council should assume its responsibility and put additional pressure on Syria including sanctions. But Rice and other council diplomats said there is opposition from some members.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves