US warns of failed Syrian peace plan
New York: US Ambassador Susan Rice says the worst and most likely scenario for Syria is that Kofi Annan`s peace plan will fail, spreading conflict and creating a major crisis across the region.
Rice said on Wednesday after a closed-door briefing to the UN Security Council by one of Annan`s deputies, that Syrian government was unlikely to immediately implement the Annan plan.
If President Bashar Assad refuses to implement the peace plan, Rice said the UN Security Council should assume its responsibility and put additional pressure on Syria including sanctions. But Rice and other council diplomats said there is opposition from some members.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan