USD 2 million for landmine assistance in Mozambique
Washington: The US on Wednesday announced USD 2
million in financial assistance to help Mozambique safeguard
its citizens from abandoned landmines and unexploded munitions
remaining from decades of conflict.
The aid, announced in October 19 in Mozambique`s capital
Maputo, will fund survey and clearance teams from The
HALO Trust, a Britain-based non-governmental organisation and
leading US humanitarian demining partner, the State
Department said in a statement.
Since the 1992 Rome General Peace Accords ended nearly
30 years of civil conflict, the US has provided Mozambique
more than USD 47 million in assistance under its Humanitarian
Mine Action programme.
The programme has contributed to significant reductions
in casualties from mines and explosive remnants of war, and is
one of many ways the US is demonstrating its commitment to
peace and stability in the region, it said.
Since 1993, the US has delivered more than USD 1.4
billion in aid to remove landmines and unexploded munition to
nearly 50 countries, it said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know