Vanquished Ukraine President concedes defeat
Kiev: President Viktor Yushchenko on Wednesday said
he accepted the results of Ukraine`s Presidential Elections,
where he was eliminated in the first round, but defiantly
vowed to stay in politics.
Yushchenko, the figurehead of the 2004 Orange Revolution,
won just 5.45 percent of the vote in the first round
elections on Sunday amid widespread disappointment with his
But in a characteristically defiant statement, Yushchenko
said that the holding of free elections, warmly praised by
international observers, was in itself proof of the victory of
the Orange Revolution.
"As head of state, I accept the will of the people in the
January 17 elections. The main thing is the elections were
free, democratic and legal," he told reporters in his first
public comment after the vote.
"But national and state circumstances do not give me the
moral right to leave political life," he added.
Yushchenko had vowed to turn Ukraine into a prosperous
nation anchored in the European Union and NATO but his
ambitions were undermined by political infighting and a dire
Analysts also criticised the President -- a passionate
defender of Ukraine`s cultural heritage -- for focusing on
grandiose historical projects at the expense of concrete
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh