Venezuela: Chavez, Capriles on final pre-poll rally
Caracas: Amidst fervent campaigning for elections on Sunday, Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez and his opponent Henrique Capriles addressed tens of thousands of their supporters on Friday.
On the last day of the pre-election rally, both the candidates pitched their best to garner maximum votes from their supporters and to form the government.
The long ruling leftist leader Chavez, who is seeking third term to be re-elected as the president focused more on to strengthen social reforms while Capriles pledged to enhance economic growth and to provide better governance.
Despite getting drenched in the deluge, thousands of Chavez’s supporters dressed in red-shirts, gathered in the centre of capital Caracas. Chavez has been in power since 1999 and he said that he needs another term to curb poverty and inequality from Venezuela.
On the other hand, 40-year-old lawyer and former governor of Miranda state, Henrique Capriles Radonski, laid much emphasis on criticising the government`s handling of the economy. Capriles even accused the government of distributing red shirts to public employees to participate in his rally. He also promised to create employment, build roads and schools.
Approximately 19 million people are expected to cast their votes in closely contested presidential elections on Sunday.
The incumbent president Chavez seemed quite confident in his rallies and showed no sign of facing the strongest challenge to his 13-year rule while Capriles has vowed to unseat Chavez.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured