Venezuela: Chavez, Capriles on final pre-poll rally
Caracas: Amidst fervent campaigning for elections on Sunday, Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez and his opponent Henrique Capriles addressed tens of thousands of their supporters on Friday.
On the last day of the pre-election rally, both the candidates pitched their best to garner maximum votes from their supporters and to form the government.
The long ruling leftist leader Chavez, who is seeking third term to be re-elected as the president focused more on to strengthen social reforms while Capriles pledged to enhance economic growth and to provide better governance.
Despite getting drenched in the deluge, thousands of Chavez’s supporters dressed in red-shirts, gathered in the centre of capital Caracas. Chavez has been in power since 1999 and he said that he needs another term to curb poverty and inequality from Venezuela.
On the other hand, 40-year-old lawyer and former governor of Miranda state, Henrique Capriles Radonski, laid much emphasis on criticising the government`s handling of the economy. Capriles even accused the government of distributing red shirts to public employees to participate in his rally. He also promised to create employment, build roads and schools.
Approximately 19 million people are expected to cast their votes in closely contested presidential elections on Sunday.
The incumbent president Chavez seemed quite confident in his rallies and showed no sign of facing the strongest challenge to his 13-year rule while Capriles has vowed to unseat Chavez.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city